STAND. COM. REP. NO. 850
RE: H.B. No. 574
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 574, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPOSIT BEVERAGE CONTAINER PROGRAM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to improve the State's recycling program by:
(1) Extending the repeal date of the Reverse Vending Machine Rebate Program from June 30, 2009, to June 30, 2014;
(2) Increasing from 50 to 100 percent the rebate provided for the actual cost of each reverse vending machine, and establishing a new rebate of up to 75 percent of the operating cost of each reverse vending machine during the first two years of operation; and
(3) Appropriating $1,750,000 for fiscal year 2009-2010 for grants-in-aid to the counties to plan and operate county recycling programs.
The Department of Health opposed this bill. The Sierra Club, Hawaii Chapter, submitted comments.
To encourage further discussion, your Committee has amended this measure by changing:
(1) The rebate percentages provided for the actual cost and two-year operating costs of a reverse vending machine to unspecified percentages;
(2) The appropriation amounts for the grants-in-aid to the counties to unspecified amounts; and
(3) Its effective date to July 1, 2020.
Other technical, nonsubstantive amendments were also made for style, clarity, and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 574, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 574, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair