STAND. COM. REP. NO. 904
RE: H.B. No. 36
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 36 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to clarify the nexus between the benefits sought and charges made on the users and beneficiaries of the Environmental Health Education Fund (Fund) by:
(1) Changing the name of the Fund to the Sanitation and Environmental Health Special Fund (Special Fund); and
(2) Allowing the use of the Special Fund for sanitation program activities.
The Department of Budget and Finance opposed this bill. The Department of Health (DOH) and DOH Sanitation Branch submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Inserting an unspecified amount for the Special Fund's cap;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive changes for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 36, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 36, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair