STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1041
RE: H.B. No. 183
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education and Housing, to which was referred H.B. No. 183, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to:
(1) Authorize the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board to determine how it collects license fees; and
(2) Authorize the Board to adopt, amend, repeal, or suspend its policies and standards.
Testimony in support of this measure was submitted by two government organizations. Written testimony presented to the Committee may be reviewed on the Legislature's website.
Your Committee has replaced the contents of this measure with S.B. No. 497, S.D. 1, previously heard and approved by this Committee.
As amended, this measure:
(1) Establishes an Advisory Committee to provide oversight of the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board and provide the Governor with lists of nominees for appointment to the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board, and requires an annual report of the Advisory Committee to the Board of Education and the Legislature;
(2) Authorizes the Board to determine how it collects license fees; to adopt, amend, repeal, or suspend its policies and standards; and to hire an Executive Director;
(3) Authorizes the Board to coordinate an effort that creates a data interface network to promote the free interchange of information among public and private Hawaii teacher education institutions and the Department of Education, and appropriates funds for the data network; and
(4) Has an effective date of July 1, 2050, for the purposes of further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education and Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 183, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 183, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education and Housing,
NORMAN SAKAMOTO, Chair