STAND. COM. REP. NO. 958
RE: H.B. No. 183
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 183 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to support the operations of the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) by:
(1) Allowing HTSB to determine the manner by which licensing fees are collected;
(2) Returning to HTSB the power to adopt, amend, repeal, or suspend its policies and standards;
(3) Making permanent HTSB's authority to temporarily suspend its rules in extenuating circumstances; and
(4) Making permanent HTSB's authority to amend licensing-related fees and set or amend other charges related to the performance of HTSB's duties.
The Hawaii Teacher Standards Board supported this bill. A concerned individual opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 183, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 183, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair