STAND. COM. REP. NO. 964
RE: H.B. No. 1538
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1538 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENVIRONMENTALLY-SENSITIVE PRODUCTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to ensure the health and safety of public school students by:
(1) Requiring the Department of Education (DOE) to use environmentally-sensitive cleaning and maintenance products (Products);
(2) Directing the Department of Health (DOH) to establish guidelines and specifications for the Products; and
(3) Requiring the State Procurement Office (SPO) to maintain a list of vendors where Products are available.
DOE, Sierra Club – Hawaii Chapter, several children from Kawaiaha‘o School, and a concerned individual supported this bill. The Department of Taxation and the SPO opposed this measure. The Consumer Specialty Products Association and American Chemistry Council submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Deleting the requirement that the SPO maintain a list of contractors that provide qualified Products;
(2) Deleting the requirement that DOE buy and use DOH-approved Products;
(3) Establishing categories from which DOH will establish guidelines and specifications for Products for use in public school facilities; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive changes for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1538, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1538, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair