STAND. COM. REP. NO. 945
RE: H.B. No. 1479
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1479, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO LABOR,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to obtain better information and ensure payment of fringe benefits on public works projects by requiring that:
(1) A certified copy of a fringe benefit reporting form supplied by the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations (DLIR) be submitted weekly by the general contractor to a governmental contracting agency for review; and
(2) An itemized list of fringe benefit costs paid for each employee by the general contractor or subcontractor be included on payroll records.
The Hawaii Building and Construction Trades Council, AFL-CIO, General Contractors Association of Hawaii, and a concerned individual testified in support of this bill. DLIR provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Requiring that an itemized list of the cost of fringe benefits be included on the certified payroll submitted by the general contractor rather than requiring a separate, certified copy of the cost of fringe benefits to be submitted;
(2) Deleting language requiring DLIR to supply a fringe benefits reporting form;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1479, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1479, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair