Hawaii-Grown Coffee; Labeling
Changes the percentage and classification for Hawaii-grown coffee products.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TWENTY-FIFTH LEGISLATURE, 2009
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
relating to coffee products.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 486-120.6, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:
"§486-120.6 Hawaii-grown roasted or instant coffee; labeling requirements. (a) In addition to all other labeling requirements, the identity statement used for labeling or advertising roasted or instant coffee produced in whole or in part from Hawaii-grown green coffee beans shall meet the following requirements:
(1) For roasted or instant coffee that contains one
hundred per cent Hawaii-grown coffee by weight the identity statement shall
consist of [
either:] one of the following:
(A) The geographic origin of the Hawaii-grown
coffee, in coffee consisting of beans from only one geographic origin, followed
by the word "Coffee"; provided that the geographic origin may be
immediately preceded by the term "100%"; [
(B) The per cent coffee by weight of one of
the Hawaii-grown coffees[
,] that is fifty-one per cent or more,
used in coffee consisting of beans from several geographic origins, followed by
the geographic origin of the weight-specified coffee and the terms [ "Coffee"]
"Blend" and "All Hawaiian Coffee"; or
(C) The term "Hawaii Coffee", "100% Hawaii Coffee", or "All Hawaiian Coffee";
(2) For roasted or instant coffee consisting of a
blend of one or more Hawaii-grown coffees and coffee not grown in Hawaii, if
fifty-one per cent or more of the coffee by weight is Hawaii-grown the term
"Hawaii Coffee Blend" shall be used, or if fifty-one per cent or more
is from one geographic origin, the per cent coffee by weight [
of one of
the Hawaii-grown coffees used in the blend], followed by the geographic
origin of the weight-specified coffee and the term "Coffee Blend";
(3) Each word or character in the identity statement shall be of the same type size and shall be contiguous. The smallest letter or character of the identity statement on packages of sixteen ounces or less net weight shall be at least one and one-half times the type size required under federal law for the statement of net weight or three-sixteenths of an inch in height, whichever is smaller. The smallest letter or character of the identity statement on packages of greater than sixteen ounces net weight shall be at least one and one-half times the type size required under federal law for the statement of net weight. The identity statement shall be conspicuously displayed without any intervening material in a position above the statement of net weight. Upper and lower case letters may be used interchangeably in the identity statement.
(b) A listing of the geographic origins of the
various Hawaii-grown coffees and the regional origins of the various coffees
not grown in Hawaii that are included in a blend [
may] shall be
shown on the label. If used, this list shall consist of the term
"Contains:", followed by, in descending order of per cent by weight
and separated by commas, the respective geographic origin or regional origin of
the various coffees in the blend that the manufacturer chooses to list. Each
geographic origin or regional origin may be preceded by the per cent of coffee
by weight represented by that geographic origin or regional origin, expressed
as a number followed by the per cent sign. The type size used for this list
shall not exceed half that of the identity statement. This list shall appear
below the identity statement, if included on the front panel of the label.
(c) It shall be a violation of this section:
(1) To use the identity statement specified in subsection (a)(1)(A) or similar terms in labeling or advertising unless the package of roasted or instant coffee contains one hundred per cent coffee from that one geographic origin;
(2) To use a geographic origin in labeling or
advertising, including in conjunction with a coffee style or in any other
manner, if the roasted or instant coffee contains less than [
per cent coffee by weight from that geographic origin;
(3) To use a geographic origin in advertising roasted
or instant coffee, including advertising in conjunction with a coffee style or
in any other manner, without disclosing the percentage of coffee used from that
geographic origin as described in subsection (a)(1)(B) and [
(4) To use a geographic origin in labeling or advertising roasted or instant coffee, including in conjunction with a coffee style or in any other manner, if the green coffee beans used in that roasted or instant coffee do not meet the grade standard requirements of rules adopted under chapter 147;
(5) To misrepresent, on a label or in advertising of
a roasted or instant coffee, the per cent coffee by weight of any coffee from a
geographic origin or regional origin; [
(6) To use the term "All Hawaiian" on a
label or in advertising of a roasted or instant coffee if the roasted or
instant coffee is not produced entirely from green coffee beans produced in
geographic origins defined in this chapter[
(7) Except as otherwise provided in this section, to use the name of a geographic origin on any coffee label as part of a brand name or otherwise, except as part of a required identification of a producer's address.
(d) Roasters, manufacturers, or other persons who package roasted or instant coffee covered by this section shall maintain, for a period of two years, records on the volume and geographic origin or regional origin of coffees purchased and sold and any other records required by the department for the purpose of enforcing this section. Authorized employees of the department shall have access to these records during normal business hours.
(e) For the purpose of this section:
"Geographic origin" means the geographic regions in which Hawaii-grown green coffee beans are produced, as defined in rules adopted under chapter 147; provided that the term "Hawaiian" may be substituted for the geographic origin "Hawaii".
"Per cent coffee by weight" means the percentage calculated by dividing the weight in pounds of roasted green coffee beans of one geographic or regional origin used in a production run of roasted or instant coffee, by the total weight in pounds of the roasted green coffee beans used in that production run of roasted or instant coffee, and multiplying the quotient by one hundred.
(f) Any product manufactured, produced, and distributed for sale before July 1, 2009, that falls within the scope of this section shall comply with the requirements of this section no later than July 1, 2011."
SECTION 2. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.