STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1738-08
RE: S.B. No. 651
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 651, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO RECYCLING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to include the use of recycling receptacles as an additional element of state energy management for which the Public-private Policy Advisory Committee under chapter 196, Hawaii Revised Statutes, shall provide input.
For purposes of the public hearing, your Committee circulated a proposed H.D. 2 version that deletes the provisions of the bill and inserts new language establishing a statewide At-store Plastic Carryout Bag Recycling Program (Program).
The Retail Merchants of Hawaii, Hawaii Food Industry Association, Progressive Bag Affiliates of the American Chemistry Council, Windward Ahupuaa Alliance, and Safeway, Inc., supported the proposed H.D. 2. Sierra Club – Hawaii Chapter and Sierra Club - Oahu Group opposed this measure. The Department of Health and several concerned individuals provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by adopting the provisions in the proposed H.D. 2. Specifically, under the Program, this bill requires certain retailers to:
(1) Use plastic carryout bags with a printed message asking consumers to return the plastic carryout bags to participating stores for recycling;
(2) Provide clearly marked collection bins for consumers to return plastic carryout bags;
(3) Maintain records of plastic carryout bag collection and recycling; and
(4) Offer re-usable bags for sale in their stores.
Your Committee has further amended the proposed H.D. 2, by:
(1) Providing for the repeal of the section prohibiting counties from adopting or implementing conflicting ordinances on January 1, 2011; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for style, clarity, and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 651, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 651, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair