STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2810
RE: S.B. No. 2891
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2891 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AEROSPACE DEVELOPMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to appropriate funds for the continuing operations of the Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems.
The measure appropriates $720,000 for fiscal year 2008-2009 for the Center's:
(1) Continued staff support;
(2) Continuation of the Center's annual international conference and the student design competition;
(3) Development of a comprehensive strategic development plan and the inception of a national capital fundraising campaign;
(4) Research for site selection for development of an analog lunar base on the island of Hawaii;
(5) Expansion of aerospace education opportunities at both K-12 and university levels statewide and education and outreach programs in local communities; and
(6) Development of grant proposals for National Aeronautics and Space Administration research funding and development of both national and international partnerships to support the long-term growth and operation of the center.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the University of Hawaii at Hilo, University of Hawaii at Hilo Conference Center, Hawaii Island Economic Development Board, Enterprise Honolulu, Center for Space Resources, Japan-United States Science, Technology & Space Applications, Japan Manned Space Systems, SpacePartnerships.com, and two individuals. The Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism and Boeing Corporation offered comments.
Upon further consideration, your Committee has amended this measure by changing the appropriated amount to an unspecified amount for the purpose of continued discussion. Your Committee has also made technical nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2891, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2891, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
ROSALYN H. BAKER, Chair