STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2756
RE: S.B. No. 2668
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2668, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to:
(1) Require the submission of candidates' names for the Regents Candidate Advisory Council within sixty days following the notification of a vacancy;
(2) Clarify the requirement of the submission of the names of the candidates to the Governor;
(3) Make confidential all information received or maintained by the Regents Candidate Advisory Council;
(4) Require candidates to reside in the geographic area that each candidate represents;
(5) Require the Governor to notify the Regents Candidate Advisory Council of vacancies on the Board of Regents in a timely manner; and
(6) Appropriate funds for an administrative position to support the operations of the Regents Candidate Advisory Council.
The Regents Candidate Advisory Council submitted testimony in support of this measure.
Your Committee finds that this measure amends the law relating to the Regents Candidate Advisory Council for the Board of Regents of the University of Hawaii to conform with the recent amendment of article X, section 6 of the Hawaii State Constitution.
Upon further consideration, your Committee has amended this measure by replacing the sum of the appropriation with an unspecified amount.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2668, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2668, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
ROSALYN H. BAKER, Chair