STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1112-08
RE: S.B. No. 2668
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 2668, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to improve the operations of the Candidate Advisory Council (Council) for the Board of Regents(BOR) of the University of Hawaii. Specifically, this bill:
(1) Requires at least 12 BOR members to reside in the geographic areas that they represent;
(2) Requires the Governor to notify the Council of vacancies on the BOR in a timely manner;
(3) Requires the Council to submit names of candidates for a seat on the BOR within 60 days following a vacancy;
(4) Clarifies the requirement for the Council's submission of names of BOR candidates to the Governor;
(5) Makes confidential all information required by the Council regarding BOR candidates; and
(6) Appropriates funds to establish a permanent administrative position to support the work of the Council.
The Council testified in support of this bill.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2668, S.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Second Reading and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
JERRY L. CHANG, Chair