STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1634-08
RE: S.B. No. 2668
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2668, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to improve the operations of the Candidate Advisory Council (Council) for the Board of Regents(BOR) of the University of Hawaii. Specifically, this bill:
(1) Requires at least 12 BOR members to reside in the geographic areas that they represent;
(2) Requires the Governor to notify the Council of vacancies on the BOR in a timely manner;
(3) Requires the Council to submit names of candidates for a seat on the BOR within 60 days following a vacancy;
(4) Clarifies the requirement for the Council's submission of names of BOR candidates to the Governor;
(5) Makes confidential all information required by the Council regarding BOR candidates; and
(6) Appropriates funds to establish a permanent administrative position to support the work of the Council.
The University of Hawaii Regents Candidate Advisory Council offered comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Specifying that the Governor's notification to the Council of BOR vacancies must be done in writing;
(2) Deleting the appropriation to establish a permanent administrative position for the Council; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2668, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2668, S.D. 2, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair