STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2266
RE: S.B. No. 2263
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 2263 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to require the University of Hawaii Board of Regents to publicly disclose the following information in open meetings:
(1) Compensation offered to newly hired employees;
(2) Changes in compensation offered to existing employees for administrative positions in the University of Hawaii System filled by excluded employees; and
(3) All budgetary expenditures made by the Board of Regents.
Testimony in support of the measure was submitted by the University of Hawaii Professional Assembly and one individual. Testimony in opposition of the measure was submitted by the University of Hawaii System. Comments on the measure were also submitted by the Office of Information Practices.
Your Committee finds that the University of Hawaii System, as the only public postsecondary educational institution in the State, maintains a tremendous responsibility in not only providing quality higher education to its students, but also in being held accountable to the public. Recently, much has been covered and questioned by the media regarding the University of Hawaii and its management, operations, and facilities. The lack of disclosure of information on the salaries of new hires at the University of Hawaii and for raises for top administrators has been and continues to remain a point of contention.
This measure requires public disclosure of information regarding compensation offered to newly hired employees, changes in compensation offered to existing employees for administrative positions in the System filled by excluded employees, and all budgetary expenditures made by the Board of Regents. Your Committee believes that disclosure of such information is a matter of statewide concern that warrants exception from current open meetings exemptions in light of the fact that approximately four hundred and seventy-three University of Hawaii administrators and faculty currently possess salaries that are in excess of the Governor's salary of $116,524. Your Committee determines that the public should be afforded the opportunity to review and, as appropriate, take necessary action in response to such information.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Including a purpose section to clarify the intent of the measure;
(2) Clarifying that the Board of Regents shall disclose all documents regarding expenditures and changes thereto in open meetings for purpose of public comment;
(3) Clarifying that the Board of Regents shall make available to the public any expenditure requests, proposals, and other budgetary documents utilized by the Board at an open meeting at least six calendar days prior to the meeting; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2263, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2263, S.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Judiciary and Labor.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
NORMAN SAKAMOTO, Chair