STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1680-08
RE: S.B. No. 2263
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 2263, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to require the University of Hawaii Board of Regents to publicly disclose certain information in open meetings, including:
(1) Information regarding compensation offered to newly hired employees;
(2) Changes in compensation offered to existing employees for executive/managerial positions in the University of Hawaii System filled by excluded employees; and
(3) All budgetary expenditures made by the board of regents.
The University of Hawaii Professional Assembly supported this bill. The University of Hawaii and the Office of Information Practices opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the section proposing an amendment to Chapter 92, Hawaii Revised Statutes, otherwise known as the "Sunshine Law," based on the written testimony and oral confirmation of the director of the Office of Information Practices that revision to that chapter is unnecessary to effectuate the purposes of this measure; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive changes for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2263, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2263, S.D. 2, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
TOMMY WATERS, Chair