STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1893
RE: S.B. No. 1932
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2007
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 1932, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to ensure a clean and safe environment for Hawaii's students by:
(1) Appropriating moneys from the General Fund and the State Educational Facilities Special Fund to reduce the backlog of repair and maintenance projects for Department of Education (DOE) school facilities;
(2) Appropriating General Fund moneys and authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds to reduce the backlog of repair and maintenance projects in the University of Hawaii (UH) system; and
(3) Requiring DOE to prepare and utilize suitable unused public school facilities for early childhood education programs, and appropriating funds for this purpose.
UH and the Hawaii State Teachers Association testified in support of this bill. The Department of Human Services, DOE, Early Learning Educational Task Force, and the Good Beginnings Alliance offered comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage continued discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1932, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1932, S.D. 2, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair