STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1495-08
RE: H.R. No. 117
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Public Safety & Military Affairs and Water, Land, Ocean Resources & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.R. No. 117 entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES AND THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY TO ESTABLISH AN INMATE CONSERVATION CORPS PILOT PROGRAM ON THE ISLAND OF HAWAII,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this resolution is to develop new methods to strengthen conservation efforts in the state by requesting the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) and the Department of Public Safety (PSD) to establish an Inmate Conservation Corps Pilot Program (Pilot Program) on the island of Hawaii to perform resource conservation projects.
The Community Alliance on Prisons and a concerned individual supported this resolution. PSD supported the intent of this measure. DLNR opposed this resolution.
Your Committees have amended this resolution by requesting that DLNR and PSD to:
(1) Develop a plan to establish a Pilot Program;
(2) Suggest qualifications for participation in the Pilot Program, taking into consideration such factors as security risks, education, and physical fitness;
(3) Determine estimated staffing and transportation requirements to implement the Pilot Program;
(4) Establish costs that would be incurred in implementing the Pilot Program, and any grants and subsidies to offset costs, including possible fees for services provided by the Pilot Program; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive changes for clarity, consistency, and style.
Accordingly, your Committees have further amended this resolution by amending its title to read: REQUESTING THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES AND THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY TO DEVELOP A PLAN TO ESTABLISH A STATEWIDE INMATE CONSERVATION CORPS PILOT PROGRAM.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Public Safety & Military Affairs and Water, Land, Ocean Resources & Hawaiian Affairs that are attached to this report, your Committees concur with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 117, as amended herein, and recommend that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 117, H.D. 1
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Public Safety & Military Affairs and Water, Land, Ocean Resources & Hawaiian Affairs,
KEN ITO, Chair
CINDY EVANS, Chair