STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1433-08
RE: H.C.R. No. 138
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 138 entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE FORMATION OF A TASK FORCE TO REVIEW THE POTENTIAL EXPANSION OF THE CURRENT PRACTICES AND EQUIPMENT OF HAWAII'S TELEMEDICINE SYSTEM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this concurrent resolution is to improve access to medical care statewide by requesting the Department of Health (DOH) to form a task force to explore the feasibility of further implementation of Hawaii's telemedicine system for the greater benefit of the people of the state.
The University of Hawaii's John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM), Hawaii Health Systems Corporation, Hawaii Primary Care Association, American Telemedicine Association, Hawaii Pacific Health, and several concerned individuals supported this concurrent resolution. DOH supported the intent of this measure. The Hawaii Psychiatric Medical Association supported this concurrent resolution with amendments. The Hawaii Medical Service Association and a concerned individual submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this concurrent resolution by:
(1) Requesting JABSOM's Telehealth Research Institute to form a task force to explore the feasibility of further implementation of the Hawaii's telemedicine system;
(2) Expanding the task force to include the input from a broader consortium of health care organizations;
(3) Requesting the task force to look further into issues brought to light by the November 15, 2007, Hawaii Telehealth Collaborative Symposium; and
(4) Amending its title to read: "REQUESTING THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII JOHN A. BURNS SCHOOL OF MEDICINE'S TELEHEALTH RESEARCH INSTITUTE TO FORM A TASK FORCE TO REVIEW THE POTENTIAL EXPANSION OF THE CURRENT PRACTICES AND EQUIPMENT OF HAWAII'S TELEMEDICINE SYSTEM"; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive changes for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 138, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.C.R. No. 138, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
JOSHUA B. GREEN, M.D., Chair