STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3440
RE: H.B. No. 2376
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 2376, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STATE FIRE COUNCIL,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to reduce the danger from wildfires in the State.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the State Fire Council to develop a statewide brushfire mitigation plan that includes methods to reduce brushfires, public education, and exploration of additional brushfire prevention and mitigation resources;
(2) Directs the State Fire Council to investigate the use of reduced-ignition-propensity cigarettes as a method of preventing brushfires; and
(3) Appropriates an unspecified amount to develop the brushfire mitigation plan and establish and staff up to four positions to implement a brushfire public education program.
Testimony in support of this measure was submitted by the State Fire Council, the Maui County Department of Fire and Public Safety, and the Kauai County Fire Department. The Board of Land and Natural Resources submitted comments on this measure.
Your Committee finds that large uncontrolled wildfires are a danger to residents of the State and their homes and businesses. Your Committee believes that a brushfire mitigation plan, including a public education program on brushfire prevention and safety, would help the State prevent dangerous wildfires and mitigate the effects of wildfires when they occur.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Reducing the number of positions to be created from four to two and specifying that they are full-time positions for one administrator and one administrative assistant; and
(2) Statutorily establishing the positions in section 132‑16, Hawaii Revised Statutes, to provide support staff for the State Fire Council, including assisting the Council in developing a statewide brushfire mitigation program and implementing a public education program.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2376, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2376, H.D. 1, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
ROSALYN H. BAKER, Chair