STAND. COM. REP. NO. 995-08
RE: H.B. No. 2376
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2008
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2376 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STATE FIRE COUNCIL,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to reduce the danger of wildfires throughout the state by:
(1) Requiring the State Fire Council to develop a comprehensive statewide brushfire mitigation plan; and
(2) Appropriating $400,000 to implement a public education program on brushfire prevention and safety.
The State Fire Council, Honolulu Fire Department, Kauai Fire Department, and Hawaii Fire Fighters Association testified in support of this bill. The Department of Land and Natural Resources offered comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing the appropriation to an unspecified amount to encourage further discussion;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2020; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2376, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2376, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair