STAND. COM. REP. NO. 896
RE: H.B. No. 150
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2007
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 150, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOUSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to provide more funding for shelter and services to homeless and low-income individuals and families by:
(1) Increasing from 30 to 65 percent, the allocation of the conveyance tax to the Rental Housing Trust Fund (RHTF);
(2) Appropriating $30,000,000 in each year of fiscal biennium 2007-2009 for the purposes of the RHTF;
(3) Appropriating an unspecified amount of funds in each year of fiscal biennium 2007-2009 to repair and renovate state public housing;
(4) Appropriating $15,000,000 in each year of fiscal biennium 2007-2009 for outreach and supportive services to homeless individuals and families;
(5) Appropriating $15,000,000 in each year of fiscal biennium 2007-2009 to provide support services at emergency and transitional shelters to the homeless; and
(6) Appropriating $3,000,000 in fiscal year 2007-2008 and $4,000,000 in fiscal year 2008-2009 as matching funds for Shelter Plus Care grants.
The County of Hawaii Office of Housing and Community Development, Hawaii Association of REALTORS, Catholic Charities Hawaii, Hawaii Family Forum, Roman Catholic Church in the State of Hawaii, Office for Social Ministry, Diocese of Honolulu, Waikiki Health Center's Care-A-Van Program, Partners In Care, and several concerned individuals testified in support of this bill. The Department of Taxation and Land Use Research Foundation of Hawaii supported the intent of this measure. The Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation, Hawaii Public Housing Authority, and Tax Foundation of Hawaii provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Leaving blank the percentage of the conveyance tax allocated to the RHTF;
(2) Leaving blank all appropriation amounts;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 150, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 150, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair