STAND. COM. REP. NO. 633
RE: H.B. No. 150
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fourth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2007
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, Ocean Resources & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 150, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOUSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to provide more funding for shelter and services to homeless and low-income individuals and families by:
(1) Increasing from 30 to 65 percent, the allocation of the conveyance tax to the Rental Housing Trust Fund (RHTF);
(2) Appropriating $30,000,000 in each year of fiscal biennium 2007-2009 for the purposes of the RHTF;
(3) Appropriating an unspecified amount of funds in each year of fiscal biennium 2007-2009 to repair and renovate state public housing;
(4) Appropriating $15,000,000 in each year of fiscal biennium 2007-2009 for outreach and supportive services to homeless individuals and families;
(5) Appropriating $15,000,000 in each year of fiscal biennium 2007-2009 to provide support services at emergency and transitional shelters to the homeless; and
(6) Appropriating $3,000,000 in fiscal year 2007-2008 and $4,000,000 in fiscal year 2008-2009 for matching funds for Shelter Plus Care grants.
The Department of Community Services of the City and County of Honolulu, Institute for Human Services, Inc., Hawaii Family Forum, Roman Catholic Church in the State of Hawaii, Catholic Charities Hawaii, Partners in Care, Hawaii Association of REALTORS, and a concerned individual testified in support of this bill. The Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation and the Hawaii Public Housing Authority supported the measure in part. The Department of Taxation supported the intent of this bill. The Tax Foundation of Hawaii provided comments.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, Ocean Resources & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 150, H.D. 1, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, Ocean Resources & Hawaiian Affairs,
KEN ITO, Chair