Loss Mitigation Grants; Reduced State Match; Appropriation
Reduces grant reimbursement from 50% to 35% of costs incurred for wind-resistive devices and their installation. Repeals authorization for reimbursement of inspection costs. Appropriates general funds. (SB2528 HD1)
TWENTY-SECOND LEGISLATURE, 2004
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
relating to insurance.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 431:22-104, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended as follows:
1. By amending subsection (a) to read:
"(a) Subject to the availability of funds and the standards in this article, grants for [
wind resistive] wind-resistive devices shall be awarded by the commissioner:
(1) That reimburse [
fifty] thirty-five per cent of costs incurred for the [ wind resistive] wind-resistive devices and their installation [ and inspection], up to a maximum total reimbursement of $2,100 per dwelling;
(2) On a first-come first-served basis, as determined by the commissioner; and
(3) For a [
wind resistive] wind-resistive device or devices installed only in a [ single] single-family or multi-family residential dwelling."
2. By amending subsection (c) to read:
"(c) In addition, a grant may be made to an applicant only if the applicant:
(1) Has met the descriptions, specifications, guidelines, and requirements established by the commissioner for the grant program;
(2) Has filed a completed application form, as determined solely by the commissioner, together with all supporting documentation required by the commissioner;
(3) Has, in the case of a building with multiple dwellings, filed together completed grant applications for all dwellings in the building[
;] for installation of [ wind resistive] wind-resistive devices indicated in section 431:22-104(b)(1), (2), and (4); provided that this requirement does not apply [ to[ ]] section 431:22-104(b)(3);
(4) Has installed a [
wind resistive] wind-resistive device or devices that have been designated and approved by the commissioner;
(5) Has fully paid, prior to applying for the grant, the cost of the [
wind resistive] wind-resistive device or devices, as well as the installation [ and inspection] costs for which the grant is sought. The grant shall be used to reimburse only these costs or a portion thereof;
(6) Has hired an inspector, determined by the commissioner to be qualified in accordance with the requirements of the commissioner, who has verified in writing that the installation of the [
wind resistive] wind-resistive device or devices is complete and is in compliance with the grant program specifications, guidelines, and requirements, as determined by the commissioner;
(7) Has installed the [
wind resistive] wind-resistive device or devices after July 1, 2002;
(8) Has provided any other information deemed necessary by the commissioner; and
(9) Has met all additional requirements needed to implement the grant program as determined by the commissioner."
SECTION 2. There is appropriated out of the general revenues of the State of Hawaii the sum of $ or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2004-2005 for the loss mitigation grant program established under article 22 of chapter 431, Hawaii Revised Statutes.
The sum appropriated shall be expended by the department of commerce and consumer affairs for the purposes of this Act.
SECTION 3. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 4. This Act shall take effect upon its approval; provided that section 2 shall take effect on July 1, 2004.