Special number plates; Military service
Authorizes special automobile license plates for veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TWENTY-SECOND LEGISLATURE, 2004
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
Relating to SPECIAL NUMBER plates.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 249-9.2, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending subsections (a) and (b) to read as follows:
"(a) In lieu of the number plates contracted on behalf of the counties by the director of finance of the city and county of Honolulu, the director of finance shall provide for a fee, one set of special number plates upon the receipt of an application together with:
(1) Specific proof that the applicant was awarded the Purple Heart by the United States Department of Defense for wounds received in military or naval combat against an armed enemy of the United States;
(2) Certification that the applicant is a veteran;
(3) Specific proof that the applicant was serving the United States in the military or as a civilian, on Oahu, or offshore at a distance of not more than three miles at the time of the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor. Certification from the Hawaii state chairperson of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association shall constitute sufficient proof;
(4) Specific proof that the applicant was confined as a prisoner of war while providing military service to the United States; or
(5) Certification from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or the state office of veterans' services that the applicant is a combat veteran or a veteran of the Vietnam conflict, the Korean conflict, World War II, [
or] the Persian Gulf conflict[ .], Operation Enduring Freedom, or Operation Iraqi Freedom.
(b) The design of the plates for:
(1) Purple heart recipients shall include the words "COMBAT WOUNDED";
(2) Veterans shall include the word "VETERAN";
(3) Pearl Harbor survivors shall include the words "PEARL HARBOR SURVIVOR";
(4) Former prisoners of war shall include the words "FORMER PRISONER OF WAR";
(5) Combat veterans shall include the words "COMBAT VETERAN";
(6) Veterans of the Vietnam conflict shall include the words "VIETNAM VETERAN";
(7) Veterans of the Korean conflict shall include the words "KOREA VETERAN";
(8) Veterans of World War II shall include the words "WORLD WAR II VETERAN"; [
(9) Veterans of the Persian Gulf conflict shall include the words "PERSIAN GULF VETERAN"[
(10) Veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom shall include the words "AFGHANISTAN VETERAN"; and
(11) Veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom shall include the words "IRAQ VETERAN".
These designations shall be imprinted on the left side of the license plates in a manner similar to congressional and honorary consul license plates."
SECTION 2. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.