Special number plates; disabled American veterans
Provides for a special number plate for disabled American veterans.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TWENTY-SECOND LEGISLATURE, 2003
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO SPECIAL NUMBER PLATES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 249-9.2, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:
"§249-9.2 Special number plates; military service. (a) In lieu of the number plates contracted on behalf of the counties by the director of finance of the city and county of Honolulu, the director of finance shall provide for a fee, with the exception of special number plates for veterans with a disability, one set of special number plates upon the receipt of an application together with:
(1) Specific proof that the applicant was awarded the Purple Heart by the United States Department of Defense for wounds received in military or naval combat against an armed enemy of the United States;
(2) Certification that the applicant is a veteran;
(3) Specific proof that the applicant was serving the United States in the military or as a civilian, on Oahu, or offshore at a distance of not more than three miles at the time of the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor. Certification from the Hawaii state chairperson of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association shall constitute sufficient proof;
(4) Specific proof that the applicant was confined as a prisoner of war while providing military service to the United States; [
(5) Certification from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or the state office of veterans' services that the applicant is a combat veteran or a veteran of the Vietnam conflict, the Korean conflict, World War II, or the Persian Gulf conflict; or
(6) Certification from the department of veteran affairs that the veteran is at least fifty percent disabled as defined by the department of veteran affairs.
(b) The design of the plates for:
(1) Purple heart recipients shall include the words "COMBAT WOUNDED";
(2) Veterans shall include the word "VETERAN";
(3) Pearl Harbor survivors shall include the words "PEARL HARBOR SURVIVOR";
(4) Former prisoners of war shall include the words "FORMER PRISONER OF WAR";
(5) Combat veterans shall include the words "COMBAT VETERAN";
(6) Veterans of the Vietnam conflict shall include the words "VIETNAM VETERAN";
(7) Veterans of the Korean conflict shall include the words "KOREA VETERAN";
(8) Veterans of World War II shall include the words "WORLD WAR II VETERAN"; [
(9) Veterans of the Persian Gulf conflict shall include the words "PERSIAN GULF VETERAN"; and
(10) Disabled veterans shall include the words "DISABLED VETERAN".
These designations shall be imprinted on the left side of the license plates in a manner similar to congressional and honorary consul license plates.
(c) Registration certificates and license plates issued under this section shall not be transferable to any other person. Special number plates for military service shall be assigned to a noncommercial passenger motor vehicle, a noncommercial motorcycle, or motor scooter registered in the name of the qualified applicant and shall be available in any category of special number plates for military service. Prior to the transfer of the ownership of the qualified person's vehicle to another party, the special number plates shall be surrendered to the director of finance as a condition to the issuance of replacement special number plates; provided that the director of finance shall allow the survivor of the qualified person, upon request, to retain the front special number plate as a memorial.
(d) The director of finance shall authorize the design of a license plate that is readily identifiable and distinguishable under actual traffic conditions and shall adopt rules pursuant to chapter 91 to carry out this section."
SECTION 2. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.