STAND. COM. REP. NO.2659
RE: S.B. No. 3086
Honorable Robert Bunda
President of the Senate
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 3086, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELECTIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to amend the election law in several varied ways.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires special elections to be conducted solely by mail;
(2) Provides for an automatic recount in close election contests;
(3) Changes to an as-yet unspecified amount, the maximum allowable campaign contributions that can be made by persons and entities;
(4) Requires the names of candidates on each official party primary ballot to be printed on separate ballots;
(5) Requires persons holding public office to forfeit the office held upon conviction rather than date of sentencing; and
(6) Appropriates $300,000 to the Office of Elections to maximize voter registration and education.
Your Committee finds that these amendments to the election law are designed to not only simplify the voter's participation in the election process, but also to restore public confidence in the way candidates acquire funds and hold office. At a time when the number of eligible voters continues to decline, these changes are needed and welcome.
Your Committee has amended this measure by changing its appropriated amount to an unspecified amount to allow for further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 3086, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 3086, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
BRIAN T. TANIGUCHI, Chair