STAND. COM. REP. NO.895-02
RE: S.B. No. 2819
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Public Safety and Military Affairs and Labor and Public Employment, to which was referred S.B. No. 2819, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII PAROLING AUTHORITY,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to enable the Hawaii Paroling Authority (HPA) to better fulfill its responsibilities in the criminal justice system by:
(1) Converting two part-time HPA member positions to full-time member positions;
(2) Providing for the rotation of the HPA chair position among the members every two years;
(3) Deleting the provision allowing HPA members to receive payment for travel and incidental expenses;
(4) Precluding HPA members from engaging in outside employment;
(5) Requiring the Auditor to study the effectiveness of a full-time paroling authority; and
(6) Appropriating an unspecified amount.
The Department of Public Safety, HPA, and Government Efficiency Teams, Inc. supported this bill.
Your Committees considered and reported out a similar bill, H.B. No. 2561, H.D. 1, earlier this session.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Public Safety and Military Affairs and Labor and Public Employment that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2819, S.D. 2, and recommend that it pass Second Reading and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Public Safety and Military Affairs and Labor and Public Employment,
SCOTT K. SAIKI, Chair
NESTOR GARCIA, Chair