STAND. COM. REP. NO.763-02
RE: S.B. No. 2761
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred S.B. No. 2761, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO VITAL STATISTICS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill, as received, is to establish a consistent fee structure for permits relating to burial and disinternment that are issued by the Department of Health (DOH).
For purposes of the public hearing, your Committee circulated a proposed H.D. 1 version that replaced the contents of this bill with the substance of H.B. No. 2042, which:
(1) Establishes a task force to explore different options for access to vital statistics records for purposes of verifying ancestry; and
(2) Appropriates an unspecified sum for staff and to provide required documentation.
The Oahu Council of Hawaiian Civic Clubs testified in support of the proposed H.D. 1. DOH submitted comments on the proposed H.D. 1.
Your Committee finds that federal legislation may require individuals to substantiate Hawaiian ancestry. The records providing this information are held by DOH, and the Hawaiian community will need effective and efficient access to those records.
Upon careful consideration, your Committee has amended this bill by deleting its substance and inserting provisions found in the proposed H.D. 1 version. Your Committee has further amended this bill by:
(1) Specifying that the Governor appoint members of the task force;
(2) Including representation on the task force from the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Hawaii's Congressional delegation, and Kamehameha Schools;
(3) Deleting the appropriation;
(4) Repealing the bill on June 30, 2003; and
(5) Making other technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of style, clarity, and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2761, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2761, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
DENNIS A. ARAKAKI, Chair