STAND. COM. REP. NO.748-02
RE: S.B. No. 2703
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services and Housing, to which was referred S.B. No. 2703, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOUSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to increase affordable housing opportunities for the elderly by:
(1) Defining "elderly households" and allowing individuals at least 55 years-of-age to reside in the household;
(2) Defining "elderly housing" to include state or federal housing programs specifically designed to assist the elderly; and
(3) Allowing a live-in aide to live with the elderly person.
The Housing and Community Development Corporation of Hawaii and Department of Hawaiian Home Lands testified in support of this measure.
Your Committee finds that expanding the definition of "elderly household" provides greater flexibility for the elderly to secure affordable housing and accommodate individuals whose spouse may be younger than 62, and also to accommodate a live-in aide while services are required.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Providing that the live-in aide may only reside with the elder until the elder recovers or is removed from the housing project; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services and Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2703, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2703, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services and Housing,
MICHAEL P. KAHIKINA, Chair