STAND. COM. REP. NO.842-02
RE: S.B. No. 2702
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water and Land Use, to which was referred S.B. No. 2702, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE KALAELOA COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to transfer the responsibility for redeveloping the lands at Barbers Point, Oahu, from the Barbers Point Naval Air Station Redevelopment Commission (Commission) to the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA). This bill also:
(1) Establishes a mechanism to fund future operations; and
(2) Provides capital improvement funding for two important projects.
HCDA, the Commission, Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism, Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Committee on the Preservation of Historic Sites and Cultural Properties of the Oahu Council of Hawaiian Civic Clubs, Ahahui Siwila Hawaii O Kapolei, and two individuals testified in support of this measure. The University of Hawaii supported the intent of this bill. The State Representative from the 42nd District and two individuals offered comments, and one individual opposed this measure.
Upon further consideration, your Committee has amended this bill by deleting its substance, inserting the substance of H.B. No. 2444, H.D. 1, its companion bill, and making additional amendments. As amended, this bill, among other things:
(1) Deletes the renaming of Barbers Point Harbor as Kalaeloa Barbers Point Harbor;
(2) Deletes HCDA's authority to name and rename as part of its guidance policies. It is your Committee's intent that HCDA not rename any streets of significance within the Kalaeloa Community Development District (District);
(3) Adds a Hawaiian cultural specialist to HCDA to vote on issues relating to the District; and
(4) Deletes the appropriated amounts to facilitate further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water and Land Use that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2702, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2702, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water and Land Use,
EZRA KANOHO, Chair