STAND. COM. REP. NO.860-02
RE: S.B. No. 2488
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred S.B. No. 2488, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT MAKING AN APPROPRIATION FOR PARKING FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is appropriate funds to enable the counties to continue the administration of the statewide program (Program) to issue parking placards to qualified persons with disabilities.
The Disability and Communication Access Board (DCAB), City and County of Honolulu, and the County of Hawaii testified in support of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by deleting its substance and inserting the substance of H.B. No. 2520, H.D.1, which:
(1) Establishes the Parking for Persons with Disabilities Special Fund (Special Fund) to be administered by DCAB;
(2) Requires that 70 cents of each annual state vehicle registration be deposited into the Special Fund to be used for the Program;
(3) Allows appropriations made by the Legislature to be deposited into the Special Fund;
(4) Allows moneys from the Special Fund to be used to pay the counties for administrative costs relating to the issuance of permits to qualified persons with disabilities and implementing a volunteer parking enforcement program;
(5) Allows DCAB to use moneys from the Special Fund for purposes relating to the Program;
(6) Ensures that $20 of each annual state vehicle registration fee is credited to the State Highway Fund; and
(7) Appropriates $600,000 from the Special Fund.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2488, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2488, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
JOSEPH M. SOUKI, Chair