STAND. COM. REP. NO.1187-02
RE: S.B. No. 2477
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2477, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE OFFICE OF HAWAIIAN AFFAIRS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to enable the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) to fund initiatives to benefit native Hawaiians by:
(1) Clarifying OHA's authority to award grants;
(2) Establishing qualifications and standards for evaluating and awarding OHA grants; and
(3) Appropriating interim revenues.
OHA and the State Procurement Office testified in support of this measure. The Department of Budget and Finance opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Removing the appropriation; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2477, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2477, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
DWIGHT Y. TAKAMINE, Chair