STAND. COM. REP. NO.1253-02
RE: S.B. No. 2102
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2102, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to propose amendments to the State Constitution to reform the administrative structure of Hawaii's public education system by:
(1) Abolishing the Board of Education and replacing it with Local District School Boards of Education;
(2) Establishing a Superintendent Selection Commission to propose a list of candidates for the Superintendent of Education (Superintendent) from which the Governor shall appoint the Superintendent, with the advice and consent of the Senate;
(3) Empowering the Superintendent to formulate statewide educational policy;
(4) Creating Local District School Boards of Education to implement educational policy and formulate and implement local district objectives; and
(5) Providing that the internal organization of the public education system shall be as provided by law.
The Representative from the 48th District supported the bill. The Board of Education submitted testimony in opposition to the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2102, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
DWIGHT Y. TAKAMINE, Chair