STAND. COM. REP. NO.1160-02
RE: S.B. No. 2075
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2075, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO DENTAL HYGIENISTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to increase access to dental services by:
(1) Allowing licensed dental hygienists to practice under the direct or general supervision of a licensed dentist in a public health setting;
(2) Allowing nursing homes, adult day-care centers or assisted-living facilities, mental institutions, and nonprofit health clinics to employ licensed dental hygienists;
(3) Specifying duties and services that may be performed by dental hygienists;
(4) Requiring that all permissible duties of dental hygienists be prescreened and authorized by a supervising licensed dentist;
(5) Prohibiting direct reimbursements to licensed dental hygienists;
(6) Requiring a dental hygienist to complete a four-hour course in pharmacology and a four-hour course in medical emergencies; and
(7) Defining "public health setting".
The Hawaii Primary Care Association supported this bill. The Board of Dental Examiners supported the intent of this bill. The Hawaii Institute for Wellness in Dentistry, Hawaii Dental Hygienists' Association, and numerous testifiers opposed this measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2075, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
DWIGHT Y. TAKAMINE, Chair