STAND. COM. REP. NO.882-02
RE: S.B. No. 2003
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Water and Land Use and Energy and Environmental Protection, to which was referred S.B. No. 2003, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO WATER CONSERVATION,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to improve water conservation by requiring all state agencies to:
(1) Dedicate a portion of maintenance funds to retrofit older facilities with water-saving plumbing fixtures; and
(2) Comply with any request by a county board of water supply to reduce water use.
The Honolulu Board of Water Supply and Hawaii's Thousand Friends testified in support of this bill. The Department of Education supported the intent of this measure. The Department of Accounting and General Services (DAGS) and the Department of Land and Natural Resources offered comments.
Your Committees have amended this bill by:
(1) Deleting the requirement that state agencies dedicate a portion of maintenance funds to retrofit older facilities with water-saving plumbing fixtures;
(2) Requiring state agencies to develop, implement, and maintain a five-year strategic plan for water conservation for its assigned facilities;
(3) Specifying that the plan shall identify standards for water conservation and retrofitting and take into consideration the cost and effectiveness of these activities as well as the savings from reduced water consumption;
(4) Directing DAGS to coordinate the efforts of each state agency and to submit annual progress reports to the Legislature; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purpose of consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Water and Land Use and Energy and Environmental Protection that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2003, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2003, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Water and Land Use and Energy and Environmental Protection,
HERMINA M. MORITA, Chair
EZRA KANOHO, Chair