STAND. COM. REP. NO.1083-02
RE: H.R. No. 132
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services and Housing, to which was referred H.R. No. 132 entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION URGING THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES AND THE COUNTY OF HAWAII TO BRING RESOLUTION AND CLOSURE TO THE "PETER BOY" KEMA CASE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this resolution is to bring closure and resolution to the "Peter Boy" Kema case by requesting the Department of Human Services (DHS), with the assistance of Na Keiki Law Center and the Hawaii County Police Department, to submit a report to the Legislature of any findings pertaining to the case.
A concerned citizen submitted testimony in support of this measure. Volunteer Legal Services Hawaii (VLSH) submitted comments and a proposed amendment.
Your Committee finds that there has been little progress in the investigation of the "Peter Boy" Kema missing person's case. VLSH has made unsuccessful attempts to obtain information pertaining to the case.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this resolution by:
(1) Changing the title to read: "REQUESTING VOLUNTEER LEGAL SERVICES HAWAII TO CONDUCT A STUDY ON SECTION 587-81, HAWAII REVISED STATUTES;"
(2) Detailing VLSH's efforts to bring resolution to the "Peter Boy" case by proposing legislation and attempting to obtain more information about the case and related legal issues;
(3) Requesting VLSH, in conjunction with the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law, to examine section 587-81, Hawaii Revised Statutes, for the purpose of drafting proposed legislation that would allow the release of information to third parties;
(4) Requesting VLSH to submit proposed legislation to the Legislature; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services and Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 132, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Judiciary and Hawaiian Affairs in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 132, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services and Housing,
MICHAEL P. KAHIKINA, Chair