STAND. COM. REP. NO.945-02
RE: H.C.R. No. 35
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Public Safety and Military Affairs, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 35 entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING A CONGRESSIONAL RESOLUTION THAT A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF EVERY MILITARY AND SECURITY PREPARATIONS AND OPERATIONS DOLLAR BE EARMARKED FOR A PEACEMAKING PROCESS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this concurrent resolution, as received, is to request a Congressional Resolution urging Congress to:
(1) Earmark appropriations for military and security preparations and operations to implement a peacemaking process; and
(2) Convene a worldwide conference of peacemakers in Hawaii, jointly hosted by the United Nations, State of Hawaii, and Matsunaga Institute of Peace.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Center for Primary Dispute Resolution and five concerned individuals. The Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii submitted testimony supporting the intent of this measure.
Upon further review, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting references to the earmarking of federal defense spending appropriations;
(2) Amending the measure's title to reflect the deletion as follows: "HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING A CONGRESSIONAL RESOLUTION URGING THE CONVENING OF A WORLDWIDE CONFERENCE OF PEACEMAKERS IN HAWAII";
(3) Designating the Matsunaga Institute of Peace at the University of Hawaii at Manoa as one of the co-hosts of the worldwide conference;
(4) Providing the Matsunaga Institute of Peace with a certified copy of the measure; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Public Safety and Military Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 35, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance, in the form attached hereto as H.C.R. No. 35, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Public Safety and Military Affairs,
NESTOR GARCIA, Chair