STAND. COM. REP. NO.637-02
RE: H.B. No. 2851
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2851, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII TEACHER STANDARDS BOARD,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to transfer the authority for the certification of principals and vice-principals from the Department of Education (DOE) to the Board of Professional Practice in Education.
The Hawaii Teacher Standards Board supported the intent of this measure. DOE and the Hawaii State Teachers Association opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by replacing its contents. As amended, this bill:
(1) Establishes the Hawaii Administrator Standards Board (Board) to establish standards for school administrator certification and for certifying administrators;
(2) Establishes the Hawaii School Administrator Standards Board Revolving Fund;
(3) Provides that the Board serve as the final adjudicator for appeals relating to certification; and
(4) Providing that the Act be repealed on June 30, 2009; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for consistency and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2851, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2851, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
DWIGHT Y. TAKAMINE, Chair