STAND. COM. REP. NO.424-02
RE: H.B. No. 2726
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2726 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE REORGANIZATION OF STATE GOVERNMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to streamline state government by reducing the number of departments in the executive branch from eighteen to fifteen.
More specifically, this bill consolidates:
(1) The Department of Human Resources Development (DHRD) with the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations;
(2) The regulatory function of the Department of Agriculture with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs;
(3) The promotional function of DOA with the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; and
(4) The Department of Accounting and General Services with the Department of Budget and Finance (B&F).
Government Efficiency Teams, Inc. submitted testimony supporting this bill. The College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Hawaii Governmental Employees Association, Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation, Hawaii Agricultural Research Center, Pineapple Growers Association of Hawaii, a member of the Board of Agriculture, Hawaiian Alliance for Responsible Technology and Science, Alluvion, Inc., Big Island Farm Bureau, Maui County Farm Bureau, Kauai County Farm Bureau, North Shore Farms, and the Waialua Farmers Cooperative opposed this measure. B&F and DHRD offered comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Removing references to deputy directors; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of style and clarity.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2726, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2726, H.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
DWIGHT Y. TAKAMINE, Chair