STAND. COM. REP. NO.578-02
RE: H.B. No. 2709
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2709 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to create a system of accountability for the Hospital and Medical Facilities Special Fund (Special Fund) by:
(1) Specifying how moneys in the Special Fund are to be used;
(2) Establishing an unspecified cap within the Special Fund on moneys that may be used for education;
(3) Declaring that moneys in excess of an unspecified amount in the Special Fund shall lapse to the general fund;
(4) Requiring the Department of Health (DOH) to submit an annual report to the Legislature on the status of the Special Fund; and
(5) Clarifying that fees from administrative penalties are to be deposited in the Special Fund.
Testimony in support of this measure was submitted by the
Hawaii Coalition of Care Home Administrators. DOH supported the intent of this bill.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2709 and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
DWIGHT Y. TAKAMINE, Chair