STAND. COM. REP. NO.574-02
RE: H.B. No. 2538
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2538 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AQUATIC RESOURCES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to make housekeeping amendments to various laws relating to aquatic resources. Among other things, this bill:
(1) Exempts the Sport Fish Special Fund from paying its pro rata share of central service and administrative expenses; according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, this diversion of funds is not allowed under federal law;
(2) Specifies that moneys from the Sport Fish Special Fund and the Commercial Fisheries Special Fund may be used for enforcement purposes;
(3) Clarifies the type of license and permit fees to be deposited into the Commercial Fisheries Special Fund;
(4) Authorizes the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) to use non-departmental personnel as agents to issue freshwater fishing licenses; and
(5) Repeals conflicting language on the disposition of revenues relating to commercial marine activities.
DLNR testified in support of this measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2538 and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
DWIGHT Y. TAKAMINE, Chair