STAND. COM. REP. NO.132-02
RE: H.B. No. 2507
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 2507 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO REGISTRATION OF DIVORCES AND ANNULMENTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to streamline the process of registering for a divorce or annulment by:
(1) Processing registrations electronically instead of paper-based; and
(2) Eliminating the need for certificates to be filed with the courts for eventual transmittal to the Department of Health (DOH).
The Office of the Lieutenant Governor and DOH testified in support of this measure. The Judiciary submitted comments.
Your Committee finds that this measure would streamline the process of registering for a divorce or annulment by eliminating the preparation and routing of paperwork.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Eliminating the burden of the courts to input the information into the database;
(2) Allowing ten business days after the final decree of divorce or annulment is granted for the information to be entered; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2507, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2507, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Judiciary and Hawaiian Affairs.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
DENNIS A. ARAKAKI, Chair