STAND. COM. REP. NO.431-02
RE: H.B. No. 2451
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2451 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE CONVENTION CENTER,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to allow the Hawaii Convention Center (Center) to operate as a business by:
(1) Providing the Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) the right to market, operate, manage, and maintain the Center;
(2) Establishing the Convention Center Enterprise Special Fund (Enterprise Special Fund);
(3) Establishing the Convention Center Facility Reserve Special Fund (Reserve Special Fund);
(4) Appropriating $40,300,000 out of the Enterprise Special Fund to be expended by the HTA for the purposes of this bill;
(5) Appropriating $3,000,000 out of the Enterprise Special Fund to be deposited into the Reserve Special Fund;
(6) Appropriating $3,000,000 out of the Reserve Special Fund to be expended by the HTA for the purposes of this bill; and
(7) Defining "convention center facility" and "convention center."
The Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism, HTA, and the Hawaii Hotel Association submitted testimony in support of this bill.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2451 and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
DWIGHT Y. TAKAMINE, Chair