STAND. COM. REP. NO.3214
RE: H.B. No. 2251
Honorable Robert Bunda
President of the Senate
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 2251, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TOURISM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to provide a dedicated source of funding to supplement the operating costs of the state park system.
Specifically, this bill:
(1) Caps the annual share of the transient accommodations tax deposited in the tourism special fund at $50,000,000;
(2) Requires the Hawaii Tourism Authority to expend, from the $50,000,000, at least $1,000,000 annually on Hawaii's natural environment areas frequented by visitors;
(3) Earmarks ninety per cent of the transient accommodations tax in excess of $50,000,000 to be deposited in the state parks special fund, and ten per cent to the Hawaii Statewide Trail and Access Program - up to $2,000,000;
(4) Requires the Hawaii Tourism Authority and the Department of Land and Natural Resources to develop a master plan for the expenditure of the $2,000,000; and
(5) Transfers annually, any transient accommodations tax in excess of $52,000,000 to the general fund.
Your Committee finds that this bill will provide a necessary nexus between tourism and the state park system and recognize the substantial use of the system by tourists visiting Hawaii. The bill will also provide the necessary funds to repair and maintain the heavily used system and reduce or eliminate the complaints filed by visitor park users.
Your Committee has amended the bill by adding a $650,000 appropriation for the design and construction of a beach maintenance project at Waikiki Beach, Oahu.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2251, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2251, H.D. 2, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
BRIAN T. TANIGUCHI, Chair