STAND. COM. REP. NO.346-02
RE: H.B. No. 2091
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water and Land Use, to which was referred H.B. No. 2091, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO LAND USE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to support the development of the University of Hawaii (UH) West Hawaii campus by:
(1) Authorizing the sale of public lands in North Kona, Hawaii, to Kamalani Development Corporation (KDC); and
(2) Depositing the net proceeds from this sale into the UH West Hawaii Campus Special Fund to be used to develop that campus.
One individual testified in support of this bill. KDC supported the intent of this measure, and the Department of Land and Natural Resources offered comments. The Sierra Club, Hawaii Chapter, and two individuals opposed this measure.
Your Committee finds that:
(1) It has been a longstanding policy governing the Public Land Trust to make lands available to the highest bidder via auction. This ensures an open and fair process that obtains the highest dollar while making the lands available to all qualified bidders; and
(2) Discussion should continue on the merits of this bill.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting provisions that require the sale of the property to KDC;
(2) Requiring that the sale of the land shall be by public auction;
(3) Deleting restrictions on the sale that were tied to the terms of memorandums of agreements or to a determination of a minimum sales price;
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2012, for the purpose of continued discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purpose of consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water and Land Use that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2091, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2091, H.D. 2, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water and Land Use,
EZRA KANOHO, Chair