STAND. COM. REP. NO.440-02
RE: H.B. No. 2009
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Agriculture, to which was referred H.B. No. 2009, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to clarify the Department of Agriculture's (DOA) authority to regulate microorganism importation by:
(1) Including emergency preparedness among the circumstances under which the DOA is authorized to issue emergency permits for import of microorganisms;
(2) Clarifying that permits issued under rules prior to Act 211, Session Laws of Hawaii 2000, are valid until the expiration date shown on the permit with no entitlement to renewal on the original import terms and conditions;
(3) Authorizing the Board of Agriculture to amend or cancel permits, registrations, and other documents upon discovery of new risks to agriculture, horticulture, the environment, or animal or public health;
(4) Clarifying that letters of authorization or registrations related to import of soil, plants, animals, or microorganisms shall be issued pursuant to rules;
(5) Providing that any violations of the conditions listed in letters of authorization or registrations shall be a violation of chapter 150A, Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS); and
(6) Changing the title of chapter 150A, HRS, to include "Microorganism Import".
Testimony in support of this measure was submitted by the
Department of Agriculture.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Agriculture that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2009, H.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Second Reading and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Agriculture,
FELIPE P. ABINSAY, Chair