STAND. COM. REP. NO.3155
RE: H.B. No. 2006
Honorable Robert Bunda
President of the Senate
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 2006, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SPECIAL WASTES RECYCLING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purposes of this measure are to:
(1) Provide the Department of Health with greater flexibility in pursuing violations of Hawaii's lead acid batteries disposal laws;
(2) Clarify the disposal options for used tires and notice requirements to consumers of new tires;
(3) Cut back the motor vehicle tire surcharge provision by
three years; and
(4) Provide that tire inventory payments by the rental car
industry shall be paid annually.
Testimony expressing concerns about this measure was submitted by the Rubber Manufacturers Association.
Your Committee finds that this measure promotes the responsible disposal of tires by:
(1) Providing further incentives for the proper disposal of used tires by authorizing tire retailers to list disposal fees as a separate charge;
(2) Allowing motor vehicle rental companies to provide a report and payment of the surcharge annually, rather than quarterly; and
(3) Allowing motor vehicle rental companies to avoid payment of the surcharge if the number of motor vehicles they export is in excess of the number imported.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2006, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
BRIAN KANNO, Chair