STAND. COM. REP. NO.168-02
RE: H.B. No. 1878
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2002
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 1878 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to statutorily establish the Hawaii State Student Council (HSSC) consisting of representation from each of the departmental school districts.
The Department of Education (DOE) and several individuals submitted testimony in support of this bill.
Your Committee finds that HSSC has been functioning successfully for many years. Although it is established in the State Constitution, HSSC has never been codified in the Hawaii Revised Statutes. This bill will help ensure the continued operation of HSSC.
Upon further consideration, your Committee has amended this bill by deleting its contents and inserting new material. As amended, the bill:
(1) Specifies that HSSC shall consist of 23 student representatives from the various departmental school districts and the student member of the Board of Education (student member);
(2) Requires HSSC to provide for an annual conference of students from grades 7-12 to discuss educational and youth issues;
(3) Authorizes HSSC to determine the method of selecting the student member;
(4) Requires HSSC to establish policies and procedures governing its operation;
(5) Allows HSSC to invite members of the Hawaii Association of Independent Schools to participate in the student conference;
(6) Requires HSSC to submit an annual evaluation of the student conference to be distributed by DOE; and
(7) Repeals chapter 317, Hawaii Revised Statutes, relating to the secondary schools student conference.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1878, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1878, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
KEN ITO, Chair