§846-9 Limitations on dissemination. Dissemination of nonconviction data shall be limited, whether directly or through any intermediary, only to:
(1) Criminal justice agencies, for purposes of the administration of criminal justice and criminal justice agency employment;
(2) Individuals and agencies specified in section 846-10;
(3) Individuals and agencies pursuant to a specific agreement with a criminal justice agency to provide services required for the administration of criminal justice pursuant to that agreement; provided that such agreement shall specifically authorize access to data, limit the use of data to purposes for which given, and insure the security and confidentiality of the data consistent with the provisions of this chapter;
(4) Individuals and agencies for the express purpose of research, evaluative, or statistical activities pursuant to an agreement with a criminal justice agency; provided that such agreement shall specifically authorize access to data, limit the use of data to research, evaluative, or statistical purposes, and insure the confidentiality and security of the data consistent with the purposes of this chapter;
(5) Individuals and agencies for any purpose authorized by statute, ordinance, executive order, or court rule, decision, or order, as construed by appropriate state or local officials or agencies; and
(6) Agencies of state or federal government which are authorized by statute or executive order to conduct investigations determining employment suitability or eligibility for security clearances allowing access to classified information.
These dissemination limitations do not apply to conviction data. These dissemination limitations also do not apply to data relating to cases in which the defendant is acquitted or charges are dismissed by reason of physical or mental disease, disorder, or defect under chapter 704, or in which the defendant is involuntarily hospitalized under section 706‑607.
Criminal history record information disseminated to noncriminal justice agencies shall be used only for the purposes for which it was given.
No agency or individual shall confirm the existence or nonexistence of criminal history record information to any person or agency that would not be eligible to receive the information itself. [L 1979, c 129, pt of §2; am L 1996, c 116, §2; am L 2018, c 97, §3]