[§587A-43] Child protective review panel. (a) The department shall establish a child protective review panel to review each case of child abuse or neglect that leads to near fatality or death as a result of acts or omissions of the child's legal caretaker. Based upon its review, the panel shall submit a report of its findings and recommendations to the director of the department. The department shall appoint members of the child protective review panel, who may include:
(1) Any physician treating the child for abuse;
(2) Any child protective services worker assigned to the case and the worker's supervisor;
(3) The guardian ad litem for the child, appointed under section 587A-16, if applicable;
(4) The members of the child's multidisciplinary team or a child protective services consultant; and
(5) Other child protective services workers and supervisors.
(b) Members of the child protective review panel shall serve without compensation and shall not be reimbursed for costs; provided that state employees serving within the scope of their employment shall receive compensation and reimbursement as provided by law or by collective bargaining.
(c) Members of the child protective review panel shall be immune from any liability for injuries and damages arising from the panel's report under subsection (a).
(d) This section shall not be construed as interfering with any authority of the department or the courts to remove, to place, or to order any disposition on custody of an abused child under this chapter. [L 2010, c 135, pt of §1]