572-2 Consent of parent or guardian. Whenever any person who is under the age of eighteen is to be married, the written consent of his or her parents, or guardian or other person in whose care and custody he or she may be, shall accompany the application for a license to marry. No license shall be issued to any minor who is under the jurisdiction of the family court without the written consent of a judge of such court. [CC 1859, 1291; RL 1925, 2944; am L 1929, c 104, 1; RL 1935, 4631; RL 1945, 12352; am L 1947, c 43, 1; RL 1955, 323-2; am L 1965, c 232, 1; HRS 572-2; am L 1969, c 45, 1; am L 1972, c 2, pt of 34 and c 192, pt of 1]


Case Notes


Marriage by female over fifteen but under eighteen years of age without consent of parent voidable; the words, "having the care and government of such party" modify the words "other person". 26 H. 89 (1921).

Consent of parties, necessity of. 28 H. 581 (1925).



Previous Vol12_Ch0501-0588 Next